Ripples International works in parts of Isiolo and Samburu Counties. These are semi-arid lands in northern parts of Kenya inhabited by pastoralists. During the dry spells of the year, pasture and water becomes harder to find, their livestock die and leave families vulnerable.
As a result of perennial drought, the people experience diverse problems associated with drought i.e. malnutrition, hunger, lack of access to health services, education, loss of livestock, lack of clean water supply.
The power to survive is taken away from the people. This is exacerbated by the low levels of awareness on diseases and especially HIV; gross violations of fundamental children rights due to ignorance, retrogressive traditional practices like FGM, early marriages and traditional orgies that blatantly uphold sexual defilement of young girls by ‘morans’.
In partnering with Ripples International you make it possible to reduce the immediate effects of hunger and disease on the children and the community while investing in the long term initiatives of building community resilience to manage crisis.
resilience to manage crisis
- Households are given food rations to alleviate hunger
- Provision of basic health access for children and the elderly while linking them where possible with government health services
- Sanitation and water supplies
Long Term Interventions
- Building the community capacity on livestock management and alternative means of livelihoods.
- Building the economic capacities of Households to enable them support vulnerable members
When you partner with Ripples International you make it possible to reduce the immediate effects of hunger and disease on the children and the community while investing in the long term initiatives of building community resilience to manage crisis.